ACT&SORB brings solutions for a growing European and a worldwide problem
For the moment there is not one single cost-efficient solution on an industrial scale available to deal with MDF post-consumer waste. European environmental policy wants to evolve towards a circular economy with a shift from ‘waste management’ to ‘resource management’.
We refer to the EU action plan for the Circular Economy ‘Closing the loop’. The European Commission adopted an ambitious Circular Economy Package, which includes revised legislative proposals on waste to stimulate Europe’s transition towards a circular economy which will boost global competitiveness, foster sustainable economic growth and generate new jobs. The Circular Economy Package consists of an EU Action Plan for the Circular Economy that establishes a concrete and ambitious programme of action, with measures covering the whole cycle: from production and consumption to waste management and the market for secondary raw materials.
The proposed actions will contribute to ‘closing the loop’ of product lifecycles through greater recycling and re-use, and bring benefits for both the environment and the economy. The revised legislative proposals on waste set clear targets for reduction of waste and establish an ambitious and credible long-term path for waste management and recycling. Key elements of the revised waste proposal include:
- A common EU target for recycling 65 % of municipal waste by 2030;
- A common EU target for recycling 75 % of packaging waste by 2030;
- A binding landfill target to reduce landfill to maximum of 10 % of municipal waste by 2030;
- A ban on landfilling of separately collected waste;
- Promotion of economic instruments to discourage landfilling;
- Simplified and improved definitions and harmonised calculation methods for recycling rates in the EU;
- Concrete measures to promote re-use and stimulate industrial symbiosis – turning one industry’s by-product into another industry’s raw material;
- Economic incentives for producers to put greener products on the market and support recovery and recycling schemes (for packaging, batteries, electric and electronic equipment, vehicles).
Act&Sorb is exactly delivering what this Action Plan for the Circular Economy demands!